Channel Ten and its streaming platform Paramount are at the front of the queue in negotiations for the next cricket broadcast rights deal, according to a report in The Age.
Ten and Paramount could bring a new edge to the broadcast, with The Age stating they are genuine contenders given the flexible options with Paramount.
Ten/Paramount, Nine and Foxtel are understood to be the broadcasters bidding for all Cricket Australia’s content, while Seven has a bit to retain the Test coverage.
However, the report states that after two rounds of bidding, Ten/Paramount are among the leaders in terms of a financial offer.
Ten/Paramount's stacks up, CA could pick and choose matches and series to be on free-to-air or behind a paywall, given which audience best fits the game.
CA CEO Nick Hockley confirmed on Sunday that broadcast negotiations were underway and suggested the national cricketing body had plenty to consider.
“There’s lots of different options and permutations and we’re just working that through at the moment,” Hockley told ABC Summer Grandstand.
“We’re really pleased with the interest from all the parties that you’d expect and I think we’re very appreciative and have a fantastic relationship with both our free-to-air partner and our subscription TV partner.
“I think it’s a balance. We’ll be looking to put in place arrangements in the best interests of Australian cricket overall and also that help contribute to building the game and community levels.
“Ultimately we’re wanting to drive as much value into the game in its broadest sense, so we can continue to invest in growing the game at community level and encourage as many kids as possible to pick up a bat and ball.”
Channel Seven and Foxtel signed the six-year deal - which will expire in 2024- back in 2018, marking a new era of cricket away from the Nine network.
Ten/Paramount are said to have been serious contenders for the AFL rights deal that was negotiated earlier this year